CultureFeed is a place for educators to explore the challenges and rewards of shaping their students’ character.
CultureFeed honors educators’ commitment to a better world by providing research, fresh ideas, classroom success stories, and interviews with educators and other thought leaders.
A Story to Tell: The Importance of Education during Incarceration as Told by 22 Men and Women Who Know Firsthand
Available now! Just in time for Second Chance Month—a compelling collection of stories focused on educational programming and criminal justice reform
In this full-length interview, sociologist David Sikkink discusses six unconventional high schools: a Friends school, a Montessori school, a Waldorf school, an IB school, a New Tech school, and a Democratic school. We talk about:
• The surprising amount of autonomy—and even authority—given to students in these settings
• How students in alternative-pedagogy schools engage with their communities
• Why many of these schools are strongly critical of popular culture
In this full-length interview, sociologist Jeffrey Dill addresses issues like these:
• The broad diversity that exists among homeschoolers, from religious beliefs to motivations for choosing this lifestyle
• What it means to understand homeschooling as an “oppositional culture”
• How homeschoolers use employment and technology to augment student experiences