CultureFeed is a place for educators to explore the challenges and rewards of shaping their students’ character.
CultureFeed honors educators’ commitment to a better world by providing research, fresh ideas, classroom success stories, and interviews with educators and other thought leaders.
In this full-length interview, sociologist David Sikkink discusses six unconventional high schools: a Friends school, a Montessori school, a Waldorf school, an IB school, a New Tech school, and a Democratic school. We talk about:
• The surprising amount of autonomy—and even authority—given to students in these settings
• How students in alternative-pedagogy schools engage with their communities
• Why many of these schools are strongly critical of popular culture
In this full-length interview, sociologist Jeffrey Dill addresses issues like these:
• The broad diversity that exists among homeschoolers, from religious beliefs to motivations for choosing this lifestyle
• What it means to understand homeschooling as an “oppositional culture”
• How homeschoolers use employment and technology to augment student experiences