CultureFeed is a place for educators to explore the challenges and rewards of shaping their students’ character.
CultureFeed honors educators’ commitment to a better world by providing research, fresh ideas, classroom success stories, and interviews with educators and other thought leaders.
“Discover Your Soul Language”: The Impact of Exposure, Experience, and Engagement through Music and the Arts
Dr. Toney McNair, Virginia Teacher of the Year 2017, encourages us to examine the language of our own souls through exposure, experience, and engagement with the Arts.
Tehmina Khan shares her vision of how learning STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) better prepares students for global citizenship and career readiness.
In this full-length interview, sociologist David Sikkink discusses six unconventional high schools: a Friends school, a Montessori school, a Waldorf school, an IB school, a New Tech school, and a Democratic school. We talk about:
• The surprising amount of autonomy—and even authority—given to students in these settings
• How students in alternative-pedagogy schools engage with their communities
• Why many of these schools are strongly critical of popular culture
In this full-length interview, sociologist Jeffrey Dill addresses issues like these:
• The broad diversity that exists among homeschoolers, from religious beliefs to motivations for choosing this lifestyle
• What it means to understand homeschooling as an “oppositional culture”
• How homeschoolers use employment and technology to augment student experiences